4.13.2010

tres leches cupcake from Hotcakes

damaged in transport,
unable to sketch on box (frosting problem)

Chowhound clued me in on this one.
The review made it sound really delicious... the enabler and I even drove over that night after dinner but they were already closed (argh! close @ 7pm). Last night, home from work, I spotted a Hotcakes box and I KNEW what it contained: two tres leches with horchata frosting and mango dusted with chile garnish. Oh, the anticipation!

Well...

I must preface by saying I'm VERY PICKY about tres leches. The one at Cuidad (et al) is my favorite and the one against which all others are judged. Verdict: the cake, tasty and moist - yes, tres lechesy - no. Horchata frosting, however, AMAZING! Spiced mangos worked well too.

I idealized the model in the sketch,
removing the dings in the frosting
(the enabler dropped the box)

Hotcakes Bakes, 4119 South Centinela Avenue, Los Angeles  310-397-2324
tip: get the CannelĂ©  instead

No comments:

Post a Comment